Saturday, January 9, 2016

Classroom Management MAKEOVER!



As we start the new year, I decided that my classroom management program needed a little sprucing up. I like to start in September with a management plan that is as simple to follow as possible: a happy classroom community with very clear expectations and procedures. To give a little incentive, I also start the school year with a class marble jar. When the marble jar is full, students get some kind of class party. I think many of us use some kind of class point system, so this is nothing new. It works like a charm!

However, come winter? THAT'S when things start to get a little hairy. I don't like to add anything new to my classroom management plan until I feel like I need it, and OH MY was it TIME! Here is what I've done to start my January on the right foot:

Step 1: Introduce "Awesome Tickets


"

Students can earn these Awesome Tickets for following our five classroom rules or by showing awesomeness in any way. To start, I keep it simple by having them write their names on the back and adding it to the "class drawing" bins. This brings me to...

Step 2: Introduce Incentives

To keep it simple in the beginning, I simply have students put their tickets into one of two bins: the "Prize Bucket" bin and "Lunch Bunch" bin.

 

Throughout the day, I will draw a few names out of the prize bucket basket. Once a week, I will draw 5-6 names for "lunch bunch." Lunch bunch is where I take a group of students to have lunch in the classroom with me. They LOVE it! 

Note: For busy teachers that sometimes work during their lunch hour, I've also tried "lunch theatre." Simply play a Magic School Bus or other educational video in the classroom while they eat. It's not as nice for building community and student/teacher rapport, but hey...the kids still love it (AND you get to do what you need to do)!


Step 3: Build a Ticket Economy

When you are ready, you can add to the incentives by creating an option for students to save and spend their tickets. 


I created this poster template to give me the flexibility to change the options as the year progresses. That way, students always feel the excitement and motivation! Prizes range from big to small. Here, my biggest prize is to have students earn the option of using my teacher rocking chair at their desk spots for the entire day. (Students also think it's hilarious if I use their small desk chairs at my easel for the day. Hey, whatever keeps them happy!)

For 15 tickets, students can earn passes for no homework, lunch bunch, "fun with a friend," and tech time. I printed and laminated these passes so that they can be reused throughout the year. Students turn in their tickets, get a pass, and then choose when they would like to use it. (Alternatively, I can choose a time that is appropriate for them to use the passes.) That way, I do not have to keep a list of who earned what and when. Students return the pass, get their prize, and then NO note-taking for me=a VERY happy teacher!


You can find my Awesome Tickets and reward passes BUNDLED at my TpT store.
Cheers to a happy classroom in 2016!



No comments:

Post a Comment